Sunday, June 26, 2022

June 20th - 26th 

It was another amazing week at Bing Canyon!  2 treks this week kept us on our toes. We met lots of wonderful new friends and had a great time. Over 300 people walked the trails this week 💜   
Starting out at Iowa city
the Women's Pull


Finally made it to Zion


I have been reading the life histories of my grandparents, great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents today J As we serve here at Bing Canyon Pioneer Campground, I get to hear the stories and see the reenactments that the leaders have prepared for their individual trek experiences.  It’s humbling to read of the same types of real experiences from my actual family members who I have come to love and feel close to, as I try to get to know them from the bits of information they have left behind.   It is very fascinating to read the same story written several times by different people.  

My Great Grandparents Jorgen Jack

 Smith and Sarah Sariah Durfey

……”built their cabin next to the Fremont River so that water was readily available for culinary use. Their cabin was built on logs enabling them to hook several teams of horses onto it and pull it to Thurber in the winter so the kids could attend school. Come spring, they would drag it back to the river. Grandma did the washings on a scrubbing board, heated irons on the wooden stove for ironing, milked cows, made their own butter, cheese, soap and made all their own clothing from her own patterns. Finally with eight children of school age, they dragged their cabin back to Thurber never to return to the Fremont river farm. By now there were eleven children.”

I read this story and thought about

 how we have dragged our home to

 Washington for the summer and we

 will drag it back to Utah for the

 winter, not even remotely similar to

 their experience, but something to

 ponder.......  We have a truck with

 air conditioning to pull our

 beautiful trailer that can be leveled

 when we get here.  We have

 electricity &  propane hook ups.  We have water tanks that the Elders go and fill in town every week. I have thought how nice it will be to go home and have a real shower -but I am repenting and feeling very blessed to have the luxury of plenty of water.  

      I think of the stories we tell and retell in our family ……  I wonder how they will be told to my great-great-grandchildren.  I better start writing my version so there will be no question of how things “really” happenedJ  hahahahahaha

One journal entry may or may not be titled:

"Grandma..... remember when you forgot the hotdogs?"

 

 



No comments: